Handling of Personal Information
About the handling of personal information
Taiyo Oil completely recognizes that customers' personal information is important information; it has therefore established a policy concerning personal information, and it pays utmost attention to thoroughgoing protection and appropriate management of customers' personal information.
Definition of personal information
Personal information refers to information that is provided by customers who use all the services operated and managed by Taiyo Oil, and the information that is used to identify specific customers, including their name, sex, age, address, telephone number, and e-mail address. (It also includes the type of information that can be used to identify a specific customer when combined with other information.)
Collection of personal information
Taiyo Oil will collect personal information after the purpose of its use is expressly stated and the customers' consent is obtained in the following cases:
- Application for or participation in a campaign or event
- Responses to questionnaires
- Various inquiries
- Also, services that fulfill customers’ requirements can only be rendered when personal information is provided.
- In all cases, the customers’ own judgment regarding whether they wish to provide personal information or not is considered. In the event that personal information required for providing our services is not supplied, the corresponding services may not be provided.
Purpose of use of personal information
Personal information provided by customers will be used within the scope of the purpose of use expressly indicated in advance but not for any other purpose whatsoever.
Provision and disclosure of personal information to a third party
Personal information provided will not be made available or disclosed to a third party except in the following cases:
- Cases in which the handling of personal information is delegated to a company etc., with which Taiyo Oil has concluded a confidentiality agreement, under the appropriate supervision of Taiyo Oil to the extent necessary for the achievement of Taiyo Oil’s purpose of use
- Cases in which the customer’s prior consent has been obtained concerning the provision or disclosure of personal information to a third party
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is requested under the laws and regulations
- Cases in which the provision or disclosure of personal information is needed for the protection of people’s lives, bodies, or property, but obtaining the consent of the subject person is difficult.
Personal information management system and safe management
Taiyo Oil shall appoint a “Chief Privacy Officer (CPO),” and shall manage personal information obtained from customers in an appropriate and prudent manner in accordance with internal rules based on the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and other relevant laws and regulations. Further, it shall take the following safety control measures for preventing the leakage, loss, or damage of personal information and for the other safe management thereof.
Developing regulations regarding the handling of personal data
The company shall establish methods of handling personal information regarding all stages including acquisition, use, storage, provision, deletion, and disposal, and shall develop internal rules regarding supervisors and their duties.
Organization-related safety control measures
The company shall build personal-information protection systems related to the handling of personal information, and shall develop the systems that are needed for the protection of personal information.
Personnel-related safety control measures
The company shall implement training for employees regarding matters to keep in mind related to the handling of personal information.
Physical safety control measures
The company shall take safety measures in order to prevent the theft or loss, etc. of devices, electronic media, documents, and so on with which personal information is handled.
Technical safety control measures
The company shall implement access control, and shall limit scopes with regard to supervisors, databases on which personal information is handled, and so on.
Understanding external environments
In the case that personal information is to be stored outside of Japan, the company shall implement appropriate safety control measures based on understanding systems related to the protection of personal information in the relevant foreign countries.
About the handling of personal information on the web site
The access log refers to records of the activity of the customer’s web server, and information such as the ″IP address, domain name, type of browser, type of OS, and date and time of access″ will be recorded on Taiyo Oil's web server. This information will be used for a web site usage survey or as statistical information, but not for identifying individual customers. However, in the event that Taiyo Oil examines the management of the web site (investigation of the cause of a problem that may have occurred on the server etc.) or its legitimate legal rights are threatened, violated, or interfered with, Taiyo Oil may choose to identify an individual from his or her IP addresses and take the necessary measures.
Web site security
The Taiyo Oil web site uses a mechanism called SSL (Secure Socket Layer) for the encryption of data for transmission on the page where customers provide personal information. If a third party should intercept the transmitted data, you can rest assured that the content will not be disclosed.
Consignment to a third party
A part of the Taiyo Oil web site is developed by consigned parties and business partners. Such consigned parties and business partners are limited to the companies that have concluded a confidentiality agreement on personal information with Taiyo Oil, and they are obligated to manage the information and operate appropriately in the same manner as Taiyo Oil.
Inquiries about personal information (Response to a request for inquiry, disclosure, correction, suspension of use etc.)
Customers who wish to make requests for ″notification of the purpose of use, disclosure, correction, suspension of use, etc.″ (hereinafter referred to as ″disclosure etc.″) concerning personal information provided to Taiyo Oil are requested to take the following steps.
Applicants eligible to make requests for disclosure etc. of personal information
The following individuals are eligible to make a request for disclosure etc. concerning personal information (hereinafter referred to as ″applicant of request″):
- The subject person (principal)
- A statutory representative (statutory representative for a minor or an adult ward)
- An agent to whom the principal delegates the request for disclosure
Scope of the disclosure of information
The scope of disclosure etc. shall be limited to the address and name of the subject person and Taiyo Oil’s purposes of use and the information Taiyo Oil collects and currently retains. Moreover, personal data that will be disposed within six months shall be exempted.
Procedures for making a request for disclosure etc.
- Please submit your request for disclosure etc., in principle, in writing to the following address:
General Affairs Department
Taiyo Oil Co., Ltd.
Hibiya Kokusai Bldg., 15F
2-3, Uchisaiwaicho 2-chome, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 100-0011, Japan
- For making a request for disclosure etc., you are requested to submit relevant documents with the necessary information mentioned below duly filled in and your seal affixed, attached with (A) your identity verification documents (the subject person) or (B) the identification verification documents of your representative, and (C) the fees enclosed as necessary.
Please note that we do not accept telephone inquiries or direct inquiries at our office.
- Name and seal of the person who makes the request for disclosure etc.
- Address and telephone number of the person who makes the request for disclosure etc.
- Title and description of the personal information for which disclosure is requested
- Category of the person who makes the request for disclosure etc. (the subject person/a statutory representative for a minor/a statutory representative for an adult ward/an agent to whom the subject person (principal) delegates the request for disclosure)
- Name, address, and telephone number of the subject person if someone other than the subject person makes the request for disclosure etc.
(A) Documents for verification of the subject person’s identification (evidence for identification of the subject person)
Please make available two documents that can officially prove your identity: a copy of ″your driving license, health insurance card, passport, pension book, or utility bill (or receipt),″ and an original of ″the resident card and family register″ (not more than three months from the date of issuance).
- We may place a call, as necessary, for verifying the request for disclosure etc.
(B) Documents for verification of the representative’s identification (evidence for identification of a statutory representative or an agent to whom the subject person (principal) delegates the request for disclosure etc.)
Please make available the documents that prove the status of the representative, in addition to (A) ″the documents for verification of the subject person’s identification,″ including ″family register, certificate of registered matters, and proxy.″
You are requested to pay the predetermined fees (500 yen, tax inclusive) for ″Notice of the purpose of using your personal information″ and ″Disclosure concerning your personal information.″
- Please pay the fees through a fixed-amount postal money order (for the amount of 500 yen) issued by the post office.
- A service charge of 10 yen is required for the issuance of a fixed-amount postal money order. (You are requested to pay this charge.)
- Please ensure that the space for the "Address and name of the designated recipient" in the fixed-amount postal money order is kept blank when you submit it to us.
Response of Taiyo Oil
When Taiyo Oil receives a set of documents for disclosure etc. from a customer, it will respond in accordance with the following procedure:
- The set of submitted documents will be checked for flaws and omissions.
- Upon completion of the identification of the subject, a suitable response will be given concerning the ″Reply to the request for disclosure etc.″ and the ″Result etc. of processing for correction, suspension of use, etc.″ At the same time, (A) the document submitted for identification of the principal or (B) the document submitted for a representative will be returned.
- In the event that any flaw or omission is found in the submitted documents, the complete set of documents will be returned to the customer.
- We would appreciate your understanding that your request for disclosure etc. may not be fulfilled in cases such as the following:
- Cases in which the object of the request for disclosure etc. does not apply to the retained personal data
- Cases in which the life, body, property, or other right or interest of the subject person or a third party is threatened to be damaged
- Cases in which there is a possibility that significant interference will occur in the proper conduct of business of Taiyo Oil.
- Cases in which the law may be violated
Taiyo Oil Co., Ltd.
15th Floor, Hibiya Kokusai Bldg., 2-2-3 Uchisaiwai-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
President & CEO Yutaka Oka